Thoughts on publishing and editorial design matters
- 1 Premise
- 2 Why do we like publishing?
- 2.1 Events
- 2.2 And further
- 2.2.1 "(…) Labor is what produces capital and all those activities that do not produce capital are not labor.” Michael Hardt
- 2.2.2 The Whole Earth Catalog
- 2.2.3 In 1910 Marinetti climbed on the clock tower in Venice to drop leaflets.
- 2.2.4 "One publishes to find comrades", Andre Breton
- 2.2.5 Mobile self-publishing for dissident content: Mimeograph
- 2.2.6 Stencilzolder Amsterdam
- 2.2.7 Octave Uzanne: The Author as his/her own publisher
- 3 Why do we like destruction?
- 4 H&D publishing attempts
- 5 Link to the etherpad
- 6 Goals for this week
- 7 General notes
During the 5-day workshop we will examine the possibilities of self-destruction in relation to cross-media publishing.
Modes of production: Discussion, sketching & prototyping, paired with hands-on exercises (crash course: terminal, crash course: python & scrape yourself).
Why do we like publishing?
"Events Have Become Magazines", Bruce Sterling
Christoph Schlingensief: Ausländer Raus
Hackers & Designers Summer Talks
"(…) Labor is what produces capital and all those activities that do not produce capital are not labor.” Michael Hardt
The Whole Earth Catalog
In 1910 Marinetti climbed on the clock tower in Venice to drop leaflets.
The Futurist Manifesto
"One publishes to find comrades", Andre Breton
Mobile self-publishing for dissident content: Mimeograph
Octave Uzanne: The Author as his/her own publisher
Why do we like destruction?
Who does not like to blow up things?
Fluxus Newspaper meant to be torn apart
Agrippa 1992, William Gibson
The Digital Death Drive, Stefan Schäfer, Emily Westie, Selby Gildemacher
Art Postal! Game Issue
DRM (expiration) chair
Les Sugus (Gianfranco Baechtold, Laurent Beirnaert, Pierre Bouvier, Thibault Brevet, Raphaël Constantin, Lionel Dalmazzini, Edina Desboeufs, Arthur Desmet, Thomas Grogan)
The Falling Times
H&D publishing attempts
FB Farewell Party
Scraping, counting & sorting
The Momentary Zine
Applied Bio Robotics
The H&D Summer Academy
Link to the etherpad
Goals for this week
Concept and design of a publication or a series of publications, that has the characteristics of deleting/destroying itself at some point (optimally the date of the end presentation, Friday February 12th :-)
The publication may be digital, analog, or both, a serial or a single issue, a performance, linear or nonlinear, narrative, participatory, rich or poor media content, text-based, image-based or both,…
- We are with a big group so there will be times you have to wait for everyone to proceed. Please take that time to try continue with the next steps, try out new iterations of scripts or to help others.
- Along with the technical instructions try and think about a final project you want to create and present Friday.
- Let's try and start on time and together, at 10:00.
- Lunch: 13:00, prepared every day by another group of 3-4 volunteers. Let's keep it 2-3,-/pp