Digital Habits Workshop
|Digital Habits Workshop|
|Name||Digital Habits Workshop|
This workshop was part of the HDSA2019 Public Program Public Program of the Hackers & Designers Summer Academy of 2019 and was led by Jennifer Veldman. Critical Alignment Yoga was used to explore our own habits and preferred patterns and how we can manipulate ourselves towards positive habits. The knowledge gained during the yoga session is included in exercises and a discussion about our use of digital technology. (How) can you manipulate yourself?
- How long have you been awake before you first check your phone?
- How often and how long are you online per day?
- How often are you online longer and more often than you intended?
For many the answer to the last question is something in the direction: "(too) often". We walk around with slotmachines in our pocket. The software that we use every day made our lives a lot easier and better in some ways, but has also been developed to manipulate us in the developing habits by physically and mentally programming us to spend more and more time on that one site or platform.
Who was this workshop for?
- Anyone who wants to live with digital tools, but doesn't want to be controlled by them;
- Anyone who thinks (s)he is stiff or uncoordinated;
- Anyone who wants to get a grip on their stress level, without banning digital devices.
In this workshop:
- We took a look at the attention engineering used to built software;
- Learned to become aware of your preferred patterns with open attention;
- Got practical tips to get a better grip on your smartphone (or other devices) usage;
- And we did this with the help of accessible exercises borrowed from Critical Alignment Yoga.
This was a workshop of [Data Watchers.eu]