Network Imaginaries Publication
H&D presents their new publication ‘Network Imaginaries’, reflecting on and reimagining distributed practices. The contributors span a wide range of practices and reflect about network technologies in experimental and hands-on ways. They push the boundaries of existing technology and programming platforms (webware, hardware, software), online/offline networks, high and low tech (internet, IPFS, darknet, peer2peer, blockchain, bot networks, radio), and user experience — in a practical manner and while addressing the ethical implications of the proposed technologies and processes.
This publication was designed with ChattyPub, a self-made publishing tool leveraging an open source chat interface (Zulip) to apply css styles to the contributions. ChattyPub explores how a process of co-designing a publication unfolds in a chat environment, specifically when several people are designing and interfering at the same time. Through workshops H&D opened up the process of making this tool, and explores together with participants its possibilities and limitations.
With contributions by: Anja Groten, Juliette Lizotte, Iridescent Institute of Desire, Maya Ober, Xin Xin & Lark Alder, Nazanin Karimi, Ilona Puskas, Danae Tapia & Annika Kappner, Char Stiles & Sol Sarratea, Lucas LaRochelle, Radio Espacio Estacion / radioee.net (Agustina Woodgate, Stephanie Sherman, Hernan Woodgate), Wendy Plas, Angelo Custodio, Anja Kaiser & Rebecca Stephanie, Tom Milnes, Inte Gloerich & Gabriele Ferri, Salvatore Iaconesi & Oriana Persico co-founders of HER: she Loves Data and Nuovo Abitare Foundation, Proof of Consensus Mario Romera, Temporary Riparian Zone Angeliki Diakrousi & Cristina Cochior, Karen Abadie & Molly McAndrews & Laura Rosser, Nicha Keeratiphanthawong & Tabea Nixdorff, dianaband
Get your copy by sending us an email with your address at firstname.lastname@example.org
BEWARE! To experiment with a distributed network we came up with a system: you can either buy 2 (25€) or 10 (100€) (+ shipping costs)!! The first 100 come with a bathbomb that accompanies the contribution of The Iridescent Institute of Desire.
Network Imaginaries, self-published by Hackers & Designers, edition of 250, 2021, Amsterdam
- Editors: Anja Groten and Juliette Lizotte
- Copy editing: Margarita Osipian
- Design: Anja Groten, Heerko van der Kooij, Juliette Lizotte, Karl Moubarak
- Project coordinator: Juliette Lizotte
- ChattyPub Development: Karl Moubarak, Heerko van der Kooij, André Fincato.
- Printing: Raddraaier SSP
- Paper: inside, 90g Rebello (100% recycled), cover, 270g Forever coloured recycled Camel
- Typefaces discovered on Libre Fonts by Womxn: AUTHENTICSans, Anthony, Compagnon, Literata, Movement Indirect
- Our experiments with online platforms were made possible through the generous support of Greenhost, offering us green, sustainable and open source web hosting.